Saturday, February 21, 2009

The Early Days...Macho Man

I guess there is no better place to start than the first few months of our "getting to know one another". Now, when I married Geri I told her that Tony would be my responsibility and I would care for all his needs (I had NO idea what his needs were but it sounded good). God will bless Geri for her patience with me as she was very selective on the "what and when" as she introduced me to just what that meant. So, when she would say, Randy you need to check Tony out, I always knew I was in for my next lesson. On this particular day, Tony was in the bathroom when she gave me the "check it out" call. Now please understand that my experience in this area was very limited but I figured how hard can it be? When I turned from the hallway into the bathroom I burst out laughing. Tony was standing up in front of the porcelain convenience and he was doing something that resembled the twist. My laughing came to an instant halt as the realization set in that he was spraying everything on both sides of the target area. Now when things like this happen you forget that Tony is handicapped and you react like he was any other person. That means I hollered at him to stop. Ya right. What he did was jump and turn toward me. Now I look like everything on both sides of the convenience. You get the picture. Now I'm not known for being slow, but at time like this, your brain sort of slows down. Fortunately, it came back quick and all my options began to spin like one of those slot machines...to fast to choose and I knew I needed a winner. I settled on this one. Moving forward I pinched off the supply hose. Now you have me and Tony face to face, me shutting of the supply hose and him starting to scream. I slowly turned him around and sat him down and released my grip. Needless to say, the screams brought Geri, and cleaning equipment. Not since my stint in the Army had I been assigned latrine duty. Needless to say, Tony and I would begin a daily routine of visiting the room together, making sure sitting down was the rule of the day. It took about forty five days of constant checking, shutting off the supply tube and turn arounds before Tony really got the idea. It didn't take near that long for me to learn that committing to take care of someone elses needs may carry with it far more than what the mind imagines. It also made me glad that my Father loved me enough to provide a Saviour who would take care of all mine....and He knew all about me, ahead of time.

3 comments:

Joanne Sher said...

Oh, what a story. I am NOT picturing it (promise!!), but it certainly made me laugh. And what a lesson of servanthood you have learned. I'm looking forward to hearing more.

Brenda said...

What a hoot! I can picture it and it just makes me laugh. I think you and Tony have a lot of similar tendencies and that is why God brought the two of you together. Consistency is a good reminder for all of us. Keep up the good writing.

Kerri said...

Randy,

My eyes are filled with tears... Of both laughter and love. What a wonderful example you are, or being the hands and feet of Christ. As I read these posts, my respect for you grows...