Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The Early Days.....Fully Dressed

As I started this process, all these memories being brought back to life, I realized that not all my lessons came from Tony. Most did, but some came from his sister Elaina as well. So I am going to post this on Tony and then take a couple of posts on the process of winning over Elaina. OK, so now I am in the process of potty training, shower training and am about to embark on the art of dressing oneself. Of all three process, this one actually went very well. Except for the underwear. We started with the socks because that was the hardest for me to do. I would hold the sock open and make Tony pull it up. Piece of cake. Within a week, he could put on his socks. From there, we moved to the underwear. If I held the pants open, he could pull them up. But when I would just give them to him, he would get them on backwards. That's just not right. So I came up with the idea of showing him the tag and having him put that in back. Bad idea. He would put the tag in front. No matter what I did, tag in front. So we tried a new tactic. I would put the underwater across his legs and make him turn it until he could put his finger into the opening. Then he could grab the edges and put them on. Success! Sort of. You see what I was missing is the fact that he did not care because he had to sit down anyway. It was only important to me. But as a matter of principal, I make him do it anyway. Once we got past that, the t-shirt and pants and shirt all fell into place. He was actually dressing himself within two weeks. This did open up one can of worms, now that he knew how to put on his clothes, he also knew how to change his clothes....sometimes two to three time a day. As my dad says, "ain't life great". In all of this, Tony would cheer and give Hi-Fives whenever he got dressed. He found a new freedom. He even began to pick out his own clothes that he wanted to wear. In my world of "normal" I had taken so much for granted. I couldn't even remember a time when I was thankful just to pick out my own clothes. It also confirmed for me that God put in every one of us the ability to push past "our current condition" and enjoy the excitement of doing something you've never done before. All of my life I have been challenged to push past, do the things they say can't be done. My father, who never made it past the seventh grade, had twenty two patents when he retired. His hand crafted steam engines are museum quality. He used to tell me, you are a child of the God who made everything, ask for what you need and get busy applying your self at it. I realized that Tony was a child of the same God and just needed to be pushed.

1 comment:

Joanne Sher said...

What an independent soul you've got there! And what an INCREDIBLE lesson for being grateful for ALL things! (Oh - and how does next Monday sound for my visit? Will talk to ya about it at prayer meeting tonight!)